Sunday, September 07, 2008

Price Per Share

Recently, I've had the urge to overshare. I suppose it's not the desire to overshare in itself, but I've felt like I've broadcasted parts of my life/opinions/unnecessary details far and wide.

Why did I make that joke? What possessed me to tell that life story to those people? Why did I get into that debate?

I wonder if there is some correlation between the general isolation I experience (living alone, often working alone in my office, eating by myself, exercising by myself, leaving places by myself even when I've been in a group) and my instinct to push details of myself off onto others. In two ways I see the impetus: 1) I have many random thoughts that I like to talk through, but since I'm by myself a lot I often don't get to. So, when they do come when I'm in the presence of people, I get to share. and 2) I do want people to know me.

Even though I don't think I've crossed any lines ('though I may have caused some to move their preconceived notions), I wonder what the cost of my blabbering is.

3 comments:

~moe~ said...

I have thought that a lot of myself. There are times when my mouth just becomes a blathering idiot of a mouth and anything and everything seems to just spew and I have no control.

I've tried to just talk out loud to myself to sort things out but it makes my boss laugh at me and I don't get anything really solved. It's hard to bounce ideas off yourself. I'm really not sure how to fix this. If you figure it out, let me know.

Jessica said...

Big fat "me too!!!!"

Mama Jen said...

yes, me too but my thoughts tend to be incredibly scatter and random. I am so easily able to jump from one thought to another most folks need a roadmap just to keep up and forget about whether I have overshared. Heehee... I find you to incredibly genuine and on top of that I adore you! Peace and thanks for sharing this thought that resinates (sp?) so well with me. After being with the girls days on end and then going to a mom's playgroup or something I have more then once left thinking, wow they must think I am plan crazy just blabbering on and on like that about who knows what. Peace, JJerbi